Poha/ Chivda ( flattened rice ) Recipe | A Healthy Breakfast | Pune Special
- by myhobies
Poha/ chivda ( flattened rice ) is nothing but rice that has been parboiled, rolled, flattened, and then dried to produce flakes. … They are very popular in Asian cooking, but in Western countries, they are more often used commercially in the production of cereals and rice snacks.
What is POHA / flattened RICE?
Flattened rice is rice which is flattened into flat, light, dry flakes originating from the Indian subcontinent. Rice is parboiled before flattening so that it can be consumed with very little to no cooking.
These flakes of rice swell when added to liquid, whether hot or cold, as they absorb water, milk, or any other liquids.
The thickness of the flakes varies between almost translucently thin (the more expensive varieties) to nearly four times thinner than a normal rice grain.
It is also called “beaten rice”, not to be confused with poha, a Central-West Indian dish prepared using this flattened rice as the key ingredient. Wikipedia.
- Poha/ chivda ( flattened rice ) – 1 cup
- Onions ( chopped ) – 1 to 2 medium-sized
- Curry leaves – a handful
- Mustard seeds – ⅔ tsp
- Peanuts – ½ cup
- Green chilies ( chopped ) – 1 to 2
- Tomato ( chopped ) – 1 medium size
- Salt – 1 tsp or as per taste
- Red chili powder – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Raw mango powder – 2 to 3 pinches
- Lemon juice – 2 tbsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
Procedure for Poha / Flattened Rice :
- Take one cup of poha/ chivda in a bowl and wash it for a few seconds and drain out the water and left it aside.
- Now place the pan over the gas stove on medium flame and add 2 tablespoons of oil and heat it.
- After heating up, add chopped onions + mustard seeds + a handful of curry leaves + green chilies peanut ( If raw peanuts are there then, its best ) and stir until the onions get transparent.
- Add chopped tomatoes and A Pinch of salt and stir for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Now add the softened, poha/ chivda , or the flattened rice and add red chili powder + turmeric powder + salt ( as per your taste ) plus raw mango powder and stir well.
- Turn off the gas flame and pour lemon juice over it and mix.
Your poha / chivda / flattened rice is ready to eat and serve. Don’t forget to share your experience on my comment section box!
READ ALSO : Chitranna Recipe | lemon rice |
Poha/ chivda ( flattened rice ) is nothing but rice that has been parboiled, rolled, flattened, and then dried to produce flakes. … They are very popular in Asian cooking, but in Western countries, they are more often used commercially in the production of cereals and rice snacks. What is POHA / flattened RICE? Flattened…
- Mind-Boggling 11+ Teen Romantic Movies Available On Netflix- Movies You’ll Be Craving
- Top-Notch 9 Cute Romantic High School Korean Dramas That Will Make You Crazy
- Topmost 5+ Best Scooby-Doo Movies All The Time- You Should Never Miss
- Upmost 5+ Best Pokémon Movies All The Time
- Topmost 8 Turkish Dramas Of Burak Deniz-You Must Watch
- April 2022
- March 2022
- December 2021
- November 2021
- October 2021
- September 2021
- August 2021
- July 2021
- June 2021
- May 2021
- April 2021
- March 2021
- December 2020
- November 2020
- October 2020
- September 2020
- August 2020
- July 2020
- June 2020
- May 2020
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- July 2019