Chitranna is one of the days tastiest South Indian vegetarian rice dishes. No wonder, it’s recipe has existed for decades, despite the arrival of many new rice recipes.
It is easy to make this rice item. Indian lemon rice is another of the names of Chitranna. If you want to prepare a simple breakfast or light evening food, then you should know how to make Chitranna.
Chitranna Recipe | lemon rice |
Another fact that makes you like the Chitranna recipe is it has only the common ingredient you typically use every day. Furthermore, the cooking steps are few and simple.
Without a doubt, turmeric is the key item of the chitranna recipe. It gives color and flavor to the food and also offers many health benefits.
The three of the other items to boost the health value of this rice Cuisine are onions garlic and Curry leaves.
These ingredients also greatly add to the taste of the Food. Hing is another ingredient that gives chitranna a fine flavor and also aids digestion.
Tip: After you prepare the chitranna, eat or so it without heating this food. The reason is heating make it lose its taste.
Use freshly-cooked rice or left-over rice to make chitranna. In fact, it’s quite common to make this food from unused, extra rice.
Savor Chitranna with masala vada or coconut chutney, and this fine eating experience would be an indelible form your mind.
The other side dishes that have a good fit with chitranna include potato chips and fresh curd.
Mango chitranna or mavinakayi chitranna is another variety of chitranna. The former uses raw mango or mavinakayi, instead of lemon juice.
Ingredients required for chitranna :
- Rice ½ cup
- Oil 4-5 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds ¼ teaspoon
- Groundnut ½ tablespoon
- Channa dal 1 teaspoon
- Urad dal 1 teaspoon
- Jeera ¼ teaspoon
- Green chillies, chopped, 2-3 or to taste
- Curry leaves 1 spring
- Onions, chopped, 1-2 medium size
- Ginger, chopped, ¼ teaspoon
- Hing few pinchessource image
- Turmeric powder ⅛ teaspoon
- Garlic cloves 4-5 ( optional )
- Lemon juice to taste
- Coconut grating 1 tablespoon
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves, chopped, few sprigs
READ ALSO : Homemade Healthy Spring Rolls ( NON FRIED )
Ingredients required for chitranna/ lemon rice recipe :
- Cook rice in away that the cooked grains are not sticky. Spread the rice on a plate to cool.
- heat the oil in a kadhai/ pan and add mustard seeds. Add groundnuts when the mustard seeds begin to splutter. Mix them well.
- Add channa dal . Fry till the groundnuts make a cracking noise.
- Add urad dal and jeera ( cumin seeds) and fry for a few seconds.
- Add hing and fry till the dal turns to golden brown.
- Add curry leaves and green chillies and let them fry for a few seconds.
- Add chopped onions, garlic cloves and ginger. Fry for a few seconds till the onions become soft.
- Add turmeric powder and fery till there is no raw smell of turmeric.
- Add little salt and lemon juice. Fry for a few seconds. Switch off the stove. The seasoning is ready.
- Add the cooked rice to the seasoning and add lemon juice and salt and stir it well.
- Add coconut gratings and coriander leaves and mix.
CHITRANNA or lemon rice is ready to serve…!!!