BAO BUN RECIPE | HOW TO MAKE STEAMED BAO BUN AT HOME: BAO, is a type of yeast-leavened filled bun in various Chinese cuisines. There are many variations in fillings (meat or vegetarian) and preparations, though the buns are most often steamed. They are a variation of mantou from Northern China.
Two types are found in most parts of China and Indonesia: Dàbāo (大包, “big bun”), measuring about 10 centimetres (3.9 in) across, served individually, and usually purchased for take-away. The other type, Xiǎobāo (小包, “small bun”), measure approximately 5 centimetres (2.0 in) wide, and are most commonly eaten in restaurants, but may also be purchased for take-away.
Each order consists of a steamer containing between three and ten pieces. A small ceramic dish for dipping the baozi is provided for vinegar or soy sauce, both of which are available in bottles at the table, along with various types of chili and garlic pastes, oils or infusions, fresh coriander and leeks, sesame oil, and other flavorings. They are popular throughout China. WIKIPEDIA
Are Baos healthy? … Bao dough itself is made of the six main ingredients listed above (flour, yeast, sugar, baking powder, milk and oil) – and so it is a deliciously sweet dough that should be enjoyed as part of a balanced diet, rather than the base of every meal.
It is the most popular portable snack or meal. Its consistency is fluffier and is generally stuffed with pork meat or vegetables for the salty version, or with a red bean pure for the sweet version. Eat it on the go, bite after bite, holding it with your hands !
| “HOW TO MAKE STEAMED BAO BUN AT HOME” |
Ingredients for bao bun dough:
- ¾ cup of warm water
- 2 tablespoon of instant dry yeast
- 3 tablespoon of sugar
- 2 ½ cup of bread flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoon of cooking oil/ vegetable oil
Procedure for making of bao bun dough:
- Take a bowl and add ¾ cup of warm water + 2 teaspoon of instant dry yeast and 1 tablespoon of sugar and mix well.
- Now add 2 ½ cup of bread flour, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, and 2 tablespoon of sugar, a pinch of salt and 2 tablespoon of vegetable oil / cooking oil.
- Well mix the ingredients and knead the dough (also use plain flour to sprinkle over it).
- Knead the dough for five minutes.
- After that, place the dough back into the bowl and cover it with a clean cloth and let it rest for 50 minutes.
- After 50 minutes the dough has risen up. Now sprinkle some flour and knead it for 1-2 minutes.
- Dough is ready now.
Recipes for filled bao bun :-
- Soft steamed meat buns:
- 280/300 gram of chicken/meat.
- 1 medium sized finely chopped onion or spring onions.
- 4 cloves minced garlic or garlic powder (1 teaspoon).
- ¼ teaspoon of black pepper.
- ½ tablespoon of lemon juice.
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoon of soya sauce
- 2 tablespoon of corn starch
- Boiled eggs (divided into 4 portions)
READ ALSO : FOCACCIA BREAD RECIPE
Procedure for filled bao bun :
- Take a bowl and add 280/300 grams of chicken/meat, 1 medium sized finely chopped onion or spring onions, 4 cloves of minced garlic or garlic powder (1 teaspoon), ¼ teaspoon of black pepper, ½ tablespoon of lemon juice, 1 teaspoon of salt, 2 tablespoon of soy sauce, 2 tablespoon of corn starch and mix well.
- Now take a slice of boiled egg and make a small meat ball of it (put wax/parchment paper/ tissue paper/ butter paper to avoid sticking).
- We will steam all the 8 balls for 15 minutes on medium heat.
- Now, divide the dough in eight portions and make their balls.
- Sprinkle some flour over them and cover them with clean cloth and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, roll over the dough ball by roller thinning the edges and them put the meat ball in the center of it and close the ball into a bun shape.
- Now wrap the cover of the steamer with clean cloth and ready your steamer once the water in the steamer is warm, place the meat buns in the steamer.
- Turn off the stove and let it rest for 15 minutes or until double of size and after 15 minutes turn on the stove on high heat and steam for 15 minutes.
- Now the bao bun it’s ready to serve.
READ ALSO : Homemade pizza with potato base
“Bao” has two meanings – little steam bun (such as a dumpling) and treasure, something precious. … Bao truly is about a mother’s love, and a mother dealing with their child growing up and moving on in life. Her mother always used to tell her “I wish I could put you back in my stomach”.